Thursday, June 4, 2015

5 of Wands: Contention

The 5 of Wands is commonly known as a card of disputes and competition. In this card we certainly do see conflict, as two men fight with flame-tipped wands. In the background jagged mountains loom (what obstacles need to be dealt with?) and lightening bolts rain down (what insights are gleaned from hashing things out?). A small detail I only noticed when settling down to write this post is the little horse and cart in the far background. You can just make out a whip encouraging the horses onward. So, what opportunities might you be missing while you're distracted by arguments?
Navigators Tarot of the Mystic SEA
J. Turk
This card is apt for me at the moment. I do, in fact, have a contract that needs to be revised with another party which is on my mind. There is a degree of "5 of Wands" to that. However this card speaks most loudly to me of the experience of competing responsibilities and projects. Yesterday I actually had the first migraine I've ever had in my life! I have had so many readings to do in the past few days (among other things) that I found myself having to make a very clear priority list and work hard to follow it. The inner landscape of my brain probably looked quite a lot like the image on this card! However these kinds of conflicts always teach us more about ourselves. I rose to the challenge of my suddenly-packed schedule, and ticked items off my list as I went. I take my work very seriously, so it was necessary for me to slow down and work out my objectives and the flow that would work best in order to achieve my ultimate goal of upholding quality and meeting the needs of a variety of different people. In the end, I'm left feeling invigorated and satisfied. Today I teach in the morning, then head home to work on more client readings, so that priority list isn't going anywhere - it's just being updated. ;-)

How do you deal with conflict?
Are you overwhelmed when faced with multiple tasks, or do you feel "in your element"?
What does competition teach you about yourself?
Do you avoid arguments, or face them head on?

2 comments:

  1. Migraine is such a terrible affliction. My eldest has had it for years until she got the right medication. I am sorry you've had to experience this too.
    The five of wands is my "Monkey mind" card. When they scream loud enough to each other it is no wonder it causes a migraine. You can only do so much in a day. Please remember to also put your downtime on you priority list! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Good point! Rest must be on the agenda somewhere...! ;-) I'm sorry that your daughter has suffered with migraines - they are pretty awful!

      Delete